Wednesday, 11 November 2009

105. Remembrance Day

I'm not easy to properly upset. I'd like to think I'm quite thick skinned.
One thing that really irritates me though, and really lowers my opinion of a person is their reaction to remembrance day.
I wear a poppy, and give all the change in my pocket to the british legion on this day each year because i feel complied to.
It just annoys me when people either, refuse to wear a poppy, or just don't care or think they have bigger things to worry about, or talk, fall asleep, or whatever during Remembrance service.

5,961,358 men died in the 1st world war from the allied forces.
Reminding you that, these are men found dead, identified and buried, not those who were lost, unnamed or uncounted.

Total troops dead in WW1 from all countries ;
8,556,315
Once again these men are identified ect.
7,750,945 more men, were 'missing' and haven't been found since.

In world war two ;
Soviet 16,400,000
Germany 2,800,000
Britain 400,000
France 212,000 dead
Italy 330,000 dead
Japan 1,900,000 dead
China 4,000,000 dead
Australia 23,000 dead
Romania 500,000 dead
Poland 400,000 dead
Hangary 300,000 dead
Yugoslavia 300,000 dead
Finland 100,000 dead
Philippines 30,000 dead
India 36,000 dead

All these figures, are from the military, not civilians. So the overall totals are far higher.

I think, as british citizens we should have respect for all the men who fought for their countries.

Remembrance Day, in Britain, it a day to mark respect for all the Allied Forces Soldiers that gave their lives in the First and Second World wars.

If you dislike war, which I hope everyone does, I don't think it's any reason to dislike, boycott or whatever Remembrance day.

Without the men who gave their lives for us and for a greater good we would probably be under nazi, or communist rule, whatever. Britain would not be the independent nation we are today.

If they could see how ungrateful some people are they'd be horrified. Even the men who are still with us from WW2, i can imagine get very upset by some people ungratefulness.

Perhaps being a CCF cadet and coming from a family which have been involved with the military affects my view of this, but i think these men, who fought for us, gave their lives, watched their friends die and lived away from their families for years on end.
I think that this day is so important because you have a duty to remember them so nothing so horrific as a world war happens again, and war is minimized. As war is only going to get worse. Also. Millions of people gave their lives fighting to protect the country they live in, and the people that live in it..I can't see how they don't deserve our respect.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

1 comment: